World Association of International Studies -- WAIS

by Ronald Hilton see WAIS Site at Stanford University Your comments are invited. Read the home page of the World Association of International Studies (WAIS) by simply double-clicking above or go to: http://wais.stanford.edu/ E-mail to hilton@stanford.edu Mail to Ronald Hilton, Hoover Institution, Stanford, CA 94305-6010. Please inform us of any change of e-mail address.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bratislava, EU, Slovakia

Friday, July 23, 2004

Tattoos, bodypiercings, etc.

Christopher Jones a defender of European culture, ridiculed the US culture of tattoos and other manifestations of the punk lifestyle. From Spain, Hank Levin writes: "Just for the record, I have seen more pierced bodies and tattoos among the young in my extensive travels in France, Spain, Holland, and Germany (cities and smaller towns) than I have seen in New York City, San Francisco, or Palo Alto. I spent last week in Porto and these were less visible there. These are natives, not tourists. From what I have seen, the EU is ahead of the states in the numbers of piercings and tattoos". RH: In general, Europe as a great citadel of culture is a thing of the past. I keep meaning to write to Deutsche Welle expressing my dismay at the loss of Germany's cultural tradition evident in its programs. One obvious victim is the German language.